Spaghetti and Meatball Cake
With Sunday being Father’s Day, I wanted to honor my husband. When it comes to baking he’s right on target and talented. He was asked to bring a desert for a spaghetti dinner at church and this is what he came up with – Spaghetti and Meatball Cake. It was such a hit, people thought it was actually a plate of spaghetti. Below are directions just in case you want to try making it. I promise people will remember the spaghetti cake. We had so much fun making this desert.
- 18 .25-ounce box chocolate cake mix (plus required ingredients)
- 2 16 -ounce tubs vanilla frosting
- 2 to 4 drops yellow food coloring 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 16 -ounce bag frozen strawberries, thawed
- White chocolate, for grating
- Make two 8-inch-round chocolate cakes as the cake mix label directs; cool completely. Crumble 1 cake into a bowl. Squeeze a handful of crumbs into a 2-inch ball; roll between your hands until smooth. Repeat to make 2 more cake balls.
- Sprinkle some of the remaining cake crumbs on a clean surface. One at a time, roll the cake balls in the crumbs, pressing lightly to coat. If necessary, moisten the cake balls with water to help the crumbs stick.
- Assemble the cake: Put the remaining whole cake on a serving plate or cake board. Spread about 1 1/2 cups vanilla frosting on the cake with an offset spatula; run the spatula around the sides to make it smooth.
- Arrange the cake balls on the cake. Mix the remaining frosting, the yellow food coloring and cocoa in a bowl; transfer to a pastry bag with a small round tip. Pipe the yellow frosting around the cake balls in a figure-eight motion to look like spaghetti.
- Make the strawberry sauce: Put strawberries in a bowl and mash with fork or puree them in a food processor until slightly smooth with a few chunks. Spoon 1/2 cup strawberry puree around the meatballs to look like sauce.
- Grate white chocolate on top of the cake to look like parmesan cheese.
- Serve the cake with the remaining strawberry puree on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine