By Brenda Scruggs – Please leave a comment
Every person has a dream but only a few pursue those dreams. If you are one of those people then this article is for you to encourage you to believe again. This article includes encouragement, simple tips of how to believe in your dream, and a few affirmations to kick start your belief that you can start right now.
One of the biggest reasons so many people do not pursue their dreams is that they don’t really believe in them. To believe is to accept something as being true, sure of the truth, and have faith in something.
You’ve had a dream for a long time but that’s all it seems to be – just a dream, that stays in the corridors of your mind, tucked secretly in a box that you visit every now and then. You examine it, think about, and even wish that it will come true someday, but then you carefully tuck it back into the hiding place only to visit it at another point in time. But listen up dreamer, I want to encourage you that your dream doesn’t have to stay hidden. Believe in your dream and live it.
And now that a spark of courage is rippling through your thoughts tapping on that box where your dream is tuck safely in, Negative Nancey shows up spewing out her words of unbelief, doubt, and fear. Believe me, I understand the thoughts and conversations in your mind of the, “what if’s.” What if I’m not good enough, what if it’s a failure, I don’t know if I can do it.
The bible says, “A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.” James 1:8
Believe me, I know the thoughts that bombard your mind. I have had and still have wavering thoughts sometimes. But this is where you need to do crowd control. Kick Negative Nancy (negative thoughts) that crowds your mind of unbelief to the curb and replace her with a new best friend – Affirmation. An affirmation is basically a formal declaration. (I will do a post on affirmations, so stay tuned.)
Once you believe in your dreams nothing will be able to stop you.
Nothing is impossible. The word itself says, “I’m Possible!
5 Simple Steps In Believing Your DREAM!
1. Believe in Yourself – You are capable of more than you think. You can accomplish anything once you set your mind to it. Confidence is important when it comes to believing in yourself. It shows faith in oneself and one’s ability without any hint of conceit or arrogance. But first, you will need to know who you are and identify your negative thoughts so that you can build confidence and self-esteem. (This is an excerpt from my book, “Fear – It is a Devourer.”
2. Overcome Your Fear – Fear is the biggest block to our dreams. Ask anyone who has achieved their dream, and they will tell you at some point in their life they felt that they couldn’t make it. But it’s patience and persistence that made them achieve.
3. Visualize Your Dream – See your dream as if it was already functioning. Example: If you want to write a book, see yourself holding that masterpiece. What does it look like? What does it feel like? How will it change someone’s life? These three questions can work for any dream. No matter what your dream, visualize it as if you were already doing it.
4. Share Your Dream – My advice to you is only share your dream with someone that you trust and that believes in you. You don’t need dream killers in your life. Dream killers are the ones who will say, “you can’t do that, your not smart enough, or who do you think you are?” But sharing your dream with someone you trust, is one way of assuring yourself that you are ready to work hard and attain it. The friend will be asking you how far you are progressing to the dream. This is important! It motivates you because there are expectations for not only you but also your friends.
5. Planning is a must – Dreams must be accompanied by some form of a plan. This plan must make sense. Real dreamers are believers and doers of their dreams. A plan will show the progressive steps that will take you to the realization of your dreams.
Here are some don’t to help you with mental obstacles:
1. Don’t wait until the circumstances are perfect.
You shouldn’t wait for the circumstances to be perfect because the truth is, there may never be a perfect time to start on your dream.
2. Don’t wait for other peoples approval.
Everyone will see your dream different than you do and that’s okay. People are programmed different, it’s just a fact of life. You can get any number of people in a room and ask the same question to everyone and 9 times out of 10 the answers will all be different.
3. Don’t think you need to wait until you have skill.
I know that it seems normal to think you need the skill before you start but the truth is, you will learn so much more by doing than by waiting. Doing allows you hone in on the skill much faster than learning the theory.
3 Simple Affirmations you can start saying right away to ignite your confidence.
Repeat these phrases several times a day or even once a day and watch how your mindset changes!
• I believe in myself.
• I trust in my abilities.
• I make a difference in my life.
Take a step today and write down more affirmations that pertain to your dreams. Repeat and speak them daily out loud. When you speak out loud, the sound (words) travel through your ear canal reaching the eardrum. The eardrum translates this information into a form that your brain can understand. If you only think it and not speak it, then the message doesn’t have the same effect. (Another excerpt from my book, “Fear- It is a Devourer.
Believe in Your Dream,
Brenda Scruggs – Author